Our Churches‎ > ‎

St. Mary's

On March 18th, 1875, John Cox sold approximately one acre of land for the nominal sum of $1.00 to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto.  Later that year at the initiative of Father William Harris, who was pastor at St. James, and continued by his successor, Father Francis McSpriritt, a small frame church was built.  It was established as a mission church of St. James Colgan, some 8 km away.   The church was named St. Mary's and provided the rural faithful with a more convenient location to attend Mass.

On January 12, 1892, St. Mary's burned to the ground.  The pastor, Father James Kilcullen immediately set about rebuilding the church and a new brick church was competed later that year.

Until 1920, St. Mary's was administered from St. James.  In 1918, with the arrival of Father John R. Kehoe at Alliston, the possibility arose of re-establishing Immaculate Conception Church in North Adjala as an independent parish.  To make the new parish more viable, St. Mary's was made a mission of Immaculate Conception in 1920.  The association lasted until 1980.  Then until 1986, St. Mary's was a mission of St. Paul The Apostle in Alliston.

In August 1986, in consultation with Father Christopher Bennett of St. Paul the Apostle and Father Francis Hannan of St. James, Bishop M. Pearse Lacey recommended to Cardinal G. Emmett Carter the re-alignment of St. Mary's to St. James Colgan.  This officially took place on January 1, 1987.  In March 1987, Father Edward T. Ronan C.S.B. was appointed associate pastor to Father Hannan with the particular responsibility for St. Mary's.

On May 19th, 1991, the congregation of St. Mary's began a year of festivities to mark the centennial of the rebuilt church.