Our Churches‎ > ‎

St. Francis Xavier

During the 1880's, the population of Tottenham greatly increased to handle the additional business generated by the new railroad.  To meet the pastoral needs of the growing village, Father Francis McSpirrit, Pastor of St. James Colgan, decided that another church should be built in the parish.   In the summer of 1885 land was purchased and construction started.

His Grace, the Most Rev. John Joseph Lynch C.M.D.D. , Archbishop of Toronto, laid the cornerstone and dedicated the church on September 3, 1885.  Vicar-General Msgr. Francis Patrick Rooney blessed the completed brick church on February 18,  1886.   The sacristy was added onto the west end of the church in 1965.

St. Francis Xavier Church typifies the standard small Roman Catholic church of the late 19th century rural Irish Ontario.