The cemetery at St. James Church in Colgan, Ontario is a special and holy place.  It has served as the burial ground for the Catholics in this area for many generations. It is a large cemetery located behind the church and is comprised of four sections, named in honour of certain pastors.

The Father Edward Gordon Section contains the graves of the earliest settlers. The first interments are reputed to have taken place in 1829. Father Edward Gordon wrote of one early tragedy that took place, "June 24, (1832) was buried in the Catholic cemetery of Adjala, Hugh Kelly, who lost his life in consequence of the mortification of his leg which was broken by the fall of a tree about a week previous to his death." (11) A tour of this section quickly reveals the Irish origins of so many of the first settlers. The cemetery also contains the graves of some early pastors.

The newer parts of the cemetery are called the Father F.X. O'Reilly Section, the Father Francis Hannan Section and the Father Louis Woods Section.